05 - Updates on the project (Sept 2019): SMARTI Interview

Hello guys, it's been a while!

I've been very busy these past few months working on my project, learning to code in R, going on secondment or conferences, writing papers and the list goes on...In this post, I will give you some updates on my journey. This post is an adaptation from an interview that I gave on smarti.eu (http://www.smartietn.eu/2019/06/30/smarti-etn-fellows-where-are-we-now-part-2/).

What is the main achievement until now in terms of research?

During the first year of the project, I conducted a literature review on existing resilience assessment methods for road networks, which allowed me to explore the research challenges related to this topic. Then, I developed novel and robust resilience indicators tailored to road networks. This work resulted in a conference paper accepted for the 2019 International Conference on Smart Cities (Seoul). Besides, I am currently developing a novel approach to investigate the sensitivity of network performance to different link failures.

How is the SMARTI experience until now?

The SMARTI experience has been amazing so far. I developed valuable technical and interpersonal skills but also travelled across Europe and broadened my horizons. For instance, I just completed a 7-month secondment at the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC) in Seville, where I worked alongside remarkable people and experts. 

What have you achieved in terms of dissemination (blog, conferences, and papers)?

In terms of dissemination, I presented and shared my work with the research community at the University of Nottingham Engineering Research showcase (May 2018) and the Resilience Engineering Research Group seminar day (July 2018) but also with the industry at the Smart Transport Alliance Annual Conference in Brussels (Nov 2018). Moreover, I will soon present my research at the International Conference on Smart Cities in Seoul (July 2019)!

I also shared my passion for engineering and research with the general public at the University of Nottingham Open days (Jun & Sept 2018). Finally, I started a blog (esr9smartietn.blogspot.com) about my SMARTI experience and I hope that this will inspire young and older graduates to follow this path because MSCA ITNs are lifetime opportunities that they can benefit from.

....

As you can tell by the dates, I already attended the ICSC 2019 and my time in Seoul was amazing! I leave you with pictures of the conference  ^^.

 

See you all,

Philippe S, ESR9